Vijay’s Master tops the list of most popular Indian films, web shows of 2021
- Thalapathy Vijay’s Master has topped the list of most popular Indian films in IMDB
- Master was directed by Lokesh Kanagaraj
- The film released across theatres on January 13, 2021
Global online database IMDb today unveiled data on the most popular Indian films and web series of 2021 so far, with Tamil film Master starring Vijay topping the list.
The action-thriller released across theatres on January 13, 2021, before streaming on OTT later. Following the positive reception, the film became a blockbuster and went on to win a number of accolades. The movie was directed by Lokesh Kanagaraj and featured Thalapathy Vijay and Vijay Sethupathi in the lead.
Other popular films on the list include Mohanlal’s Drishyam 2, Dhanush’s Karnan and Pawan Kalyan’s Vakeel Saab. Three web series are also in the list: Aspirants, November Story and Maharani.
Rather than basing its rankings on box office, small statistical samplings or reviews from professional critics, the Internet Movie Database determines its list based on IMDbPro data on the page views of IMDb users in India, according to a press release from the website.
- Master (streaming on Prime Video): An alcoholic professor is sent to a juvenile school, where he clashes with a gangster who uses the school children for criminal activities.
- Aspirants (streaming on TVF): It is the story of the journey of three UPSC (public service competitive exams in India) aspirants and their friendship against all odds.
- The White Tiger (streaming on Netflix): An ambitious Indian driver uses his wit and cunning to escape from poverty and rise to the top. An epic journey based on the New York Times bestseller
- Drishyam 2 (streaming on Prime Video): A gripping tale of an investigation and a family which is threatened by it. Will Georgekutty be able to protect his family this time?
- November Story (streaming on Disney Plus Hotstar): A celebrated crime novelist suffering from Alzheimer’s is found at a murder scene with no memory of what happened. Now, it is up to his daughter to save him.
- Karnan (streaming on Prime Video): Karnan, a fearless village youth, must fight for the rights of the conservative people of his village, due to the torture given by a police officer.
- Vakeel Saab (streaming on Prime Video): Three girls find themselves accused of an attempt to murder after escaping molestation. Their only hope is an alcoholic lawyer who agrees to take up the case.
- Maharani (streaming on Sony Liv): A political drama set in Bihar of the 1990s.
- Krack (streaming on Aha): Krack is an action film that follows Veera Shankar, a hot-headed police sergeant, who forms a vicious rivalry with notorious crime figure, Katari Krishna.
- The Great Indian Kitchen (streaming on Prime Video): After marriage, a woman struggles to be the submissive wife that her husband and his family expect her to be. The story follows her journey, as she changes herself and, even more so, changes the household.
These movies and web shows released theatrically and/or online in India between January 01 and June 03, 2021, generated the most IMDb page views in India within a 4-week post-release window, based on IMDbPro data.