Taj Mahal shut, tourists evacuated after bomb threat call

63

GBNEWS24 DESK//

The Taj Mahal in Agra was briefly shut and tourists evacuated on Thursday morning after Uttar Pradesh Police received a call about a bomb at the iconic monument.

The call was made to the police helpline following which the police informed the Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) personnel, who asked the visitors to vacate the premises of the iconic 17th-century monument, report NDTV.

Authorities conducted through checks following the bomb threat. Entry to tourists resumed a little after 11 am. A senior police officer said no bomb was found and that efforts were on to trace the caller.

The hoax call has been traced to Firozabad in Uttar Pradesh, an officer was quoted as saying by news agency PTI.

“This morning, an unknown person called on UP 112 and said there will be a bomb blast at the Taj Mahal. Immediately, as per SOP, our bomb squad and other teams conducted a thorough search of the premises. So far, our field units haven’t given any information of such an item being found,” said A Satish Ganesh, Inspector General, Agra.

“I’d like to assure everyone that 99 per cent, it is a hoax call. But we are following the drill.”

 

Comments are closed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More