Everything has a limit: Chief Justice



Terming the chaos created by the pro-BNP lawyers in the Supreme Court ‘unprecedented’, Chief Justice Syed Mahmud Hossain today said everything has a limit.

“Everything has a limit….I have not seen such a situation in the courtroom before. An order has been given. Don’t hamper the court atmosphere sitting in courtroom,” he told the lawyers after returning to the courtroom around 11:35 am today.

The chief justice came up with the comments as the pro-BNP lawyers created a chaotic situation in courtroom despite delivering the court order fixing the new date of submission of BNP chairperson Khaleda Zia’s medical report and hearing on her bail plea.

Earlier at 10 am, a six-member bench of the Appellate Division, headed by the chief justice, left the courtroom after pro-BNP lawyers shouted and created the chaotic situation in the courtroom during the hearing of an appeal filed by Khaleda Zia in the Zia Charitable Trust graft case.

When the court proceedings started in the morning, Attorney General Mahbubey Alam informed the court that the authorities of Bangabandhu Sheikh Mujib Medical University (BSMMU) are yet to prepare the reports on Khaleda Zia’s health condition and prayed to the court to adjourn the hearing of the appeal till next December 12.

As soon as the court fixed the next date for hearing on December 12, the pro-BNP lawyers began shouting by thumping on tables in the courtroom.

Upon returning the bench in the courtroom, at one stage BNP lawyer Joynul Abedin stood on the dais. Then the court said such situation was never seen at the Appellate Division in the past.

The chief justice said the court passed the order on the documents and evidence and it does not care whatever anybody says.

As per the cause list of the court, Barrister Ajmalul Hossain QC placed argument before the apex court in another case at 11:45 am. But, the pro-BNP lawyers started thumping on tables, creating a chaotic situation again in the courtroom.

After 12:15 pm, the judges became silent and halted court proceedings again. The judges left the courtroom at 1:15 pm when the time of court proceedings expired.

On November 14 last, Khaleda Zia filed an appeal with the Supreme Court challenging the High Court order that rejected her bail petition in the same case on July 31.

Comments are closed.

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More