8 injured in Ashulia warehouse fire
At least eight people, including fire fighters, were injured trying to extinguish a fire at a thread warehouse on Monday night, reports UNB.
The fire broke out on the ground floor of Tanjir Apparels’ five-storey sweater factory in Ashulia’s Baipile area around 6:00pm.
Fire service said eight of their units tried to put out the flames but thick smoke made the task difficult.
Two of the injured have received first aid. The others did not suffer serious injuries, the fire service said.
Ashulia police station’s officer-in-charge Riazul Haq Dipu said fire fighters and locals were trying to extinguish the flame.
It is still unclear what sparked the fire. Bangladeshi factories have a poor fire safety records but the situation is improving gradually. A 2012 fire at a factory killed more than 100 readymade garment workers.
Locals claimed the Tanjir Apparels factory has several chemical shops on the ground floor but the UNB could not verify the claim independently.
A devastating fire broke out at a chemical warehouse on 20 February in Old Dhaka, killing more than 70 people.